October 12, 2014

Wicked Review: Only Everything by Kieran Scott


Published: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: True Love #1
Acquired: Paperback








Sometimes the gods can be so unreasonable.

Like Zeus, the king, who thinks the proper reaction to finding me kissing a mortal is to threaten my boyfriend Orion's life, banish me to Earth, and force me to inspire true love between three couples without my powers. I know! Elders! I'm Eros, a.k.a. Cupid. The Goddess of Love. Until this morning, anyway.

Now I'm stuck on Earth with no clue how to function as a human, and I can't even conjure up my magical bow and arrows to help me do my job. I've already met this amazing guy—Charlie, a new kid in school like me—but matching him up isn't as easy as I thought. Turns out opposites don't attract, nearly identicals don't attract, and giving a guy what he seems to want is just one big disaster. My sweet new friend Katrina might work, but she's got more complications than Medusa's hair, and a live-in boyfriend with a serious mean streak. Probably not the best idea to go there.

If I don't make a match, I may never see Orion again. I have so much to lose, and only everything to gain.



This is a new twist on Greek mythology and I like it. I mean, it's like a breath of fresh air, this book. Greek mythology is loosely associated with fantasy and action and although that might be amazing on its own, a contemporary twist, written perfectly with perfect sense, can work.

Now, this book is written in three POVs; True aka Eros', Charlie Cox aka Drummer Boy, and Katrina aka I Still Don't What To Call Her. Eros fell in love with Orion and they lived in secret on Earth until Eros' father summoned both of them back to Mount Olympus in front of Zeus. Lower gods like Eros can't simply go back and forth between Earth and Mount Olympus. As punishment, Zeus chained Orion and banished Eros and her mother, Aphrodite, for being an accomplice, to Earth, where Eros must match three couples without her powers in order to see Orion alive. Failure to do so will result to Orion's life.

Eros' life as a human wasn't easy as she used to her powers. She can't even dress herself properly! Her POV is pretty hilarious and her stupidity will somewhat drive you crazy but you must understand that she was a goddess and goddesses have standards.

Enter Charlie Cox. Growing up, he was in love with music. But he wants to fit in. He wants so badly to please his father and fit in. Fit in he did as he tried out in the cross country team. Jocks, who used to bully him in his old schools, started inviting him to parties and letting him hang out with their crowd.

Then there's Katrina Ramos. Former straight A student, her life pretty much spiraled down when her father died in an accident and her mother pretty much ignored her. She was really smart but she didn't want to show it to others for fear of judgement.

The two seemed like a perfect pair but Eros aka True, didn't see it. True paired Charlie up with different girls who are obviously not his type. *ehemSTACEYehem*

With the help of Hephaestus, her best friend, she learned that she must learn to observe. She mist observe how people act, feel and everything in between.

I couldn't be happier when I picked this book up from the shelf of my local bookstore. It's magical powers drew me in and I could not, for the love of my life, put it down. And the really fancy lettering is just so pretty, I keep on tracing it with my fingers.






Kieran Scott is an author of young adult fiction including the upcoming TRUE LOVE TRILOGY (May 2014) and the HE'S SO/SHE'S SO TRILOGY, which includes SHE'S SO DEAD TO US, HE'S SO NOT WORTH IT and THIS IS SO NOT HAPPENING. Her other books include the Non-Blonde Cheelerader trilogy, Geek Magnet and Jingle Boy. She also writes Alloy Entertainment books under the pseudonym Kate Brian, including the SHADOWLANDS trilogy and the PRIVATE and PRIVILEGE series, MEGAN MEADE'S GUIDE TO THE MCGOWAN BOYS and THE PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER, among others. She grew up in Bergen County, New Jersey, attended Rutgers University, and now lives in River Vale, New Jersey with her husband and two sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment